Tuesday, August 02, 2005

My time in the service.....

Nah, not really.... I wasn't IN the service, but I was like >this< close to joining. I was kinda thinkin about this last night, thought it might be something good to blog about.

I wasn't yet out of High School,.... we had a career day where they filled the gym up with various booths of people who would love to see you join their career. Of course we had the "Be All You Can Be" booth. We took cards and pamphlets.... talked to the people,... it was all very interesting. Some reason that was the only booth I can recall, maybe nothing else just stuck out??? I dunno.

Anyhow, eventually I gave the number a call. My Dad was in the Army.... I could do that. I could learn something worthwhile without the college time right??? Might be a great idea.

I spoke with a recruiter, who picked me up and took me to Burger King where we could talk. He told me I needed to take a test, get a physical all this great fun stuff. Okay,... lets do it I said. So, I believe it was a couple Saturday's later, my poor mom in tears "My baby's going into the Army...." I headed out with him and a couple others to go test and junk.

Pretty sure the testing was first,.... I don't think they wanted to scare you away with the physical part first! From what I recall, I did really well on the test. It tested you in various areas, and in the end told you where you did the best, be it mechanics, or whatever. It's been too long, I can't tell you what I did best in, but I do remember the recruiter later telling me I could have any job I wanted. Cool!!

Then the physical,.... first was the hearing test,... that was so strange. You're in this sound proof room with probably 8 other people wearing headphones. You hear a beep,.. but it sounds so far away..... so you're looking at the people around you thinking it's their headset you're hearing... not your own... so for probably the first few beeps,... I didn't hit the button LOL I wonder if they thought I was oddly deaf?? LOL To a waiting room,.... had to give blood next. I found I was in a big room, and nothing but guys. Talk about feeling VERY uncomfortable. Gave my blood and got out of there,.... for the wonderful physical. I guess I was 18,... and yes,... still a virgin. When the Dr asked me all this,.... he said "Okay we'll not do the vaginal exam, we'll do rectal instead" GAH!!! What??? I've never had anyone probe any part of me like that!!! Talk about embarrassing. I wanted to run away about then.

Finally it was all over with. I had to wait for all the physical results to come back or something,... but was given a book to look through for all the various jobs available to me. My mind was made up,... I wanted to be an MP. (Military Police) I wanted to have my own dog and patrol with it. How cool would that be I thought!!! Yup yup, that's what I wanted to do,... then when I got out of the Army, I could use those skills and be a cop later on!!! Perfect sounding job to me.

So, results came back fine, and the recruiter was more than happy to have me sign the line!!! Sign my life away pretty much..... he asked what job I'd found. Told him MP,... "why?" "I want a dog" LOL I explained myself,.... and he said he was very sorry, but I wasn't tall enough. HUH???? Yeah, I'm a whole 5ft 2inches tall, so??? What the Hell does that have to do with being an MP and having a dog????? "You wouldn't be able to control the dog" Ooooooo. You just don't tell me how I wouldn't be able to DO something. I told him that was the lamest thing I'd ever heard of. If I raise the dog, and train the dog, I can control the dog, size means NOTHING. I got up and walked out and never signed any line.

Later on,.... after I'd graduated, I still had that book, had my test scores, was looking through it,.... and wonder if maybe I should've changed my mind and maybe done something like Occupational Therapy??? What a career that could've been for me later on huh??? Oh well..... FAR too late to do something like that now.

But I do wonder from time to time,...... could I have protested claiming SIZE discrimination???? Hmm........

No comments: