Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Draft

I know that we've not reinstated the draft,.... I know that it will probably never happen in my lifetime right??? I feel pretty confident in that. I mean, really,.... would they ever force our men to go to war again??? Could they??? Should I pack Brian's bags and move him to Canada now???

I picked up the mail today. Brian had a weird letter. Used his FULL (he has 2 middle names, so yeah... when you see all that you become alert) name on it too,.... hmm... school something or other maybe??? I waited until we got home so he could open it.

It was a letter reminding him that he was an 18 year old male, and that per the law he had to register for the draft.

Hit me like a ton of bricks. I mean, I know that boys are supposed to. I remember thinking how weird it was that boys did and girls didn't when I was close to being 18.

Now that I'm a MOM,... having my baby boy (okay,.... so he's not a baby anymore,...) have to register for the draft, well, just puts a lump in your gut.

Standing there in the kitchen, the kids are all snarfing down mini Oreo cookies for snack. I look at Geoffery who will have his turn to register in 9 years. This happy go lucky and yes Inky, always in smiles boy.... all I can do now is pray that the draft never goes live,... ever.

No comments: