Friday, May 06, 2005

Happy 14th Birthday Brian!

Yes, this is going to be a birth story, so if you're not into these sorts of things, please go to the next blog on your list :o)

Almost from the start, I was considered a high risk pregnancy. I was to and from the hospital having tests run. I was what they called ANA+ I couldn't tell you what that meant now really, but something to the effect of the baby not getting his nutrients through the cord. So, I was closely monitored. Like weekly. I had ultrasound after ultrasound, I could fill a baby book with his prebirth pictures! I had dopplers done, where it measured the fluid going through the cord,... it was all very interesting. Once they decided that his lungs were fully developed and he looked big enough, they said I would be induced. Told me to call ahead of time to see if they had a bed, and they'd put some gel stuff on my cervix "to get me started" and then probably let me go back home and wait it out. Okay,.. no problem.

Now, this was my first marriage,... he was in the Navy, and we were stationed in Hawaii. Yeah, sounds great, but I didn't really have friends, and totally no family there. This was my first pregnancy, and I was a wreck. When I showed up at the hospital as they had a bed for me,.... they put the wrist band on me, and even started an IV. When I asked "is this just for precaution or something? I was told I would go back home" "Ohh nooo,... you're going to have this baby tonight" WHAT?? I'm WHAT???? I wanted to cry,.... I wanted to be that little girl again that could curl up in Mommy's lap and have her make it all better. I was scared. I was 22, and I was about to have a baby boy. I was rather excited that this tiny baby would be in my arms soon, but I really wanted my mommy.

I was there for what seemed forever. Once they broke my water, and started the fluids with the stuff (Pitocin I think) to get labor going, I was in major pain. I thought there is NO way I can do this. They gave me demerol in the IV, and I was told I slept through the pain for 2hrs but it felt like 10mins.... when they asked if I wanted another I said no, didn't seem worth it. Finally they came in and checked me and said I could start pushing. Push?? How?? What is she talking about??? I didn't go through any birthing classes, I didn't have a clue. Not to mention I was too nervous to even consider it. The nurse was great, she explained and off to the delivery room I was wheeled. On the bed..... pretending I knew how to push. I watched the overhead lights go by, and the occasional face,.... it was almost out of body to me.

It seemed like a long birth,.... I really don't know how long we were at the hospital and when you consider the actual labor process to start,.... but we were for sure there all day.... I can remember the delivery room,.... it seemed large, and very sterile... there were like 3 medical people in there I believe. I felt very small. I was very exhausted.


May 6, 1991 at 00:26am @ 6lbs 7.3oz and 19 3/4" long, Brian was born. The relief of him finally being here, and knowing that "I did it!" was wonderful. I was sooo cold, I was shaking. When they asked if I wanted to hold him, I was too scared I would drop him, so I didn't take him. His father took him to the nursery instead. I had tore pretty bad, and spent a good while wrapped in what felt like not enough blankets, while they stitched me up.

Then I was left in the recovery room where I had to drink what seemed a gallon of water and use the bathroom before I could go into my actual room. What a process. You had your first room, labor... then delivery, then recovery and lastly the room you share with what you hope isn't someone annoying. My body felt worn out, but I was so wired.

When I finally got to my room, I was the only one there for the first day or so... it was nice. My nurse came in and told me that I had to take myself down to the nursery to get Brian. They wanted you up and moving. Well, I had already tried that, and it was very painful. I had already been taking my own Advil. When he took a look at my stitches, I was VERY swollen.... he brought me an ice pack, some motrin (he was less than pleased that I'd been taking my own stuff LOL) and went and brought Brian to me.

I managed to crawl out of the bed, and went to him, I stood there just looking for a good while,.... he was so tiny. I was really afraid I might do something wrong in picking him up. There he was though, sleeping soundly. I uncovered a hand, I wanted to see the tiny fingers.... I finally got the nerve up to pick him up and he was so warm, so soft. I loved him so much.

This child was something else. When he was tiny, I called home to mom often. He had a crying time,.... where for what seemed like MONTHS he cried at a certain time of the day,.... is he getting enough to eat?? he's not wet,... what is wrong with this kid I would cry to mom. Eventually he was fun,... he would smile often,... he was a happy baby. Always a happy baby, he loved to be held and cuddled,... I started calling him my Pookie Bear,... you know, like Garfield's little bear?? He just clung to you. He was blonde with blue eyes... he was pretty. Being in Hawaii when I was out and about with him, the Asian girls just adored him, and took his picture and wanted to hold him. I was proud. This was my son.


Once he learned how to smile, it seemed the smile never left his face


Brian is a pretty good big brother (seen here with his sister Jessica in 1994)


From as early as I can remember, he would love to pretend to play videogames, and that has yet to stop. He loves all computer and video games still. He is really very good at them too.


Brian has always been a fairly smart kid, learning the basics (colors, #'s, ABC's) at a pretty early age,.. he has proven to continue to be as smart through his school years. This is 3rd grade awards ceremony.

Today, Brian has headed off to school at a very early hour of 7:20. Normally we don't leave the house until 7:35. He is a member of a club, FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America) and they are going to a Spring Conference. He will take a test there,... but after the kids will go out for lunch, then go to the mall and trip around. Between us and his Grandma, he's got just about $70.00 to spend. He wore nice dress slacks, white shirt and his first tie. He looked so handsome. He wasn't up for the picture idea this morning, but I will get him this afternoon when he gets home and share with all :o)

We're very proud of Brian, he's nothing but a helpful kid. We've of course had our moments with him, but seriously, he is a good kid.


Happy 14th Birthday Brian!!!

No comments: