Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Damned if you do,.... damned if you do.

So, yesterday, had a major dental day.  Dentist SCRUBBED my bottom teeth.  We're doing this in sections.  Bottom, then left top, then right top along with tooth repair.  Fun stuff.

Because of this, I was sure to fix hubby something simple for dinner as he was working last night.  Frozen pizza.  Piece of cake, preheat, throw it in,... no fuss no mess right????  WRONG.

As I went to put the pizza into the oven, a waft of smoke came pouring out.  CRAP.  I had forgotten that we had dripped juice into the bottom of the oven from when we were doing our ribs last weekend.  Huge stinky mess.  Lovely.  Hubby ran to Sonic and got some burgers instead.  I made a mental note to put the self clean on on the oven before bed.

About 9:30 I was wrappin up to head to bed,.... turned the oven on, said good night to the kids etc etc.  Crawled into bed.  Right about 10 the house alarm went off.  I figure one of the cats did something to set it off, knocked something over etc.  When I flew outta bed to shut it off,.... the house was full of smoke and cats were freaking out.  2 were tryin to rush into my room!  I was like screw this, shut the alarm off, and then the oven.  Turned the stove vent on HIGH to see if it would help clear the air some.

Then I crawled BACK into bed, my eyes were tearing up from the smoke.  Took a good while to doze back off again.  Then about 11:30ish I wake to an alarm.  I fly out of bed again, turn off the house alarm and I'm thinking something is wrong with it, because it's just making a single beep sound,.... loud but beep, beep, .... I wasn't all the way awake, so I had no idea what was going on.  Then realized,.... it was the carbon monoxide detector.  GAH! I pulled it down,.... tried to muffle the sound under a blanket, then tossed it into my room,.... still wouldn't shut up.  Pulled a battery out and ran into the living room to open doors.  The air was still very warm, we had no breeze of any sort.  For a good 15 mins I had front and back doors open in hopes of airing things out.  I popped online to see about self cleaning modes producing carbon monoxide.  Surely this was some weird fluke????  Well, little did I know, when burning food bits in the oven like that, it can turn into carbon monoxide.  GAH!! I swear.  Try and do something good and this is what happens???? *sigh*

Closed up the doors,.... opened up the two windows hoping that it would help.  Crawled back into bed and text hubby about the whole ordeal.  My eyes burned from smoke still,.... and then I had mosquitoes in the house.  Lovely.  I dozed off waiting for hubby to text me back.  It wasn't until 1am that he did.  Wasn't much else we could do, everyone and everything seemed fine after all that.  I went back to sleep.  I had cracked the bedroom door so the cats could come/go since the house was still smokey and smelly.  I woke at least 2 more times in the night, paranoid I guess. 

Hubby got home just before 6:30.  I had already gotten up around 4 and closed the windows up and turned the alarm back on, so the alarm being turned off woke me up.  Talk about a long rough night.  It's 12:30pm and the house still stinks.  Not a smoke smell, the smell of self cleaning oven smell.  Just yucky.  I've sworn off self cleaning, and am sticking with Easy Off from now on.

No comments: