Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Remember when......

Your Grandma would tell you that breathing in Pam would put you at risk for cancer?? I do.

I was just in the kitchen fixing up some brownies. I need a fix. I was spraying the Pam into the baking sheet, and inhaled..... not on purpose!! I started hacking and coughing and found myself standing in Grandma's kitchen, hearing her talking to Mom about the various things that could cause cancer,... inhaling Pam was one of them.

Of course, thinking about that, reminded me of all the trips we made to Grandmas and Grandpas. I thought I would share who these wonderful people were.


George and Elsie Harrison, guessing 1980's

My Grandpa would often make the long 3hr trip to see us and the rest of the family. He did this because Grandma missed her boys. She had 5 of them. They most times stayed with us for the duration of the stay, sometimes a weekend at my Uncles house. I loved their visits. Grandpa from the first visit when I was tiny until his last visit as he was too old to make the drive, would always bring those little boxes of animal crackers. Grandma would tell us later how they'd be on the drive, and he would say "oh, we need to stop! I forgot the animal crackers!" He would also bring me Ghiradelli Flick's candy,.... I dont know if they make those anymore, but I LOVED them!! They came in a tube, and they were like a Hershey's Kiss, only a bit flatter.... they were like gold to me. The pretty foil tube they came in, to the rich creamy chocolate goodness inside.

I'm quite sure I was Grandpa's favorite. Which is kinda ironic to me now,.... but that would be another story for another date. He just always made me feel special. I vaguely remember a time we were in a store, I was looking at a book,.... it was part of a generic encyclopedia or something, it was book A. I was looking at the pictures quite intently I guess,.... needless to say, he bought me the book, and I THINK I still have it tucked away somewhere.

Grandma gave me my love for baking. I find I don't do as much of it now as I used to,... I really should. She used to bake breads and cakes and you name it!! Going to visit them was always like walking into a buffet. She would have quite the spread out,.... depending upon the time of day, it might be sandwiches, chips, other snack type foods,.... or roast with the fixings and always always cookies, and cakes. By the time we got there, we were usually starving!!! Grandma loved to cook, and she was wonderful at it too. She taught me many things growing up, but that is the one thing that I remember best.

Sometimes Grandma and Grandpa would spend Christmas with us. I used to love nothing more than getting up early in the morning, tiptoe out to the tree to see what Santa brought, and having Grandma there usually awake, anxious to see us kids and be just as excited about what we had under the tree as we were.

I could go on and on about Grandma and Grandpa,.... they had a huge impact on my life growing up. From the summers we would visit them, the weeks out of the summer I would stay with them, to the visits they made to see us that were so special.

They're both gone now, they did get to see the oldest of our kids,... Brian. I'm quite sure Grandma saw Jessica, 2nd born. She saw pictures and knew of Sydney's birth, but missed out on Geoffery. Grandma for one would have been very pleased to see that we had such a large and happy family. I only hope that when I'm older, and I have Grandkids, that I can give them memories that my Grandma and Grandpa gave to me.

No comments: