Saturday, August 29, 2009

Baseball Season

Geoffery signed up for baseball this year,... very exciting!!! I remember with great fondness going to my brother's ball games. Sometimes it could be a pain in the butt, but for the most part, it was a lot of fun. I also loved going outside and playing catch with him. I knew for sure that my brother would be on a pro team in the years to come. He was a GREAT player!!!!

Now,... as a parent,... I wondered to myself,... did MOM feel like this??? When the coach would call and say we were having practice I would groan. "AGAIN???" *sigh* Our practices were usually games,... with another local team. I felt they really needed more work on fielding and such, but I wasn't a coach, and sure the heck didn't want to be,.... so I couldn't complain right??? Off we would go to these practice games that would never start on time, and never end when I wanted them too. Not to mention, that it would be FREEZING cold,... there was one time, where I didn't bring enough layers, by the time we finished,... I got into the truck blasted the heat and still took a good hour to warm up after we got home!!!! Geez I can't remember when I'd ever been so cold!!!!

However, Geoffery who isn't much for being outside and doing sports, I was thrilled that he was willing to give baseball a try. I felt he had the frame for it for sure. I can't see him doing football, I would be scared he'd get broken in half LOL

He struggled a lot. I never knew that a kid would have to be taught how to swing a bat,.... I thought things like that came naturally??? I was so wrong. Between hubby and I, we worked with him as much as we could,.... we were teaching him to swing, to throw (yes, that was something else that amazed me,.... how can you NOT know how to throw a ball??? LOL) we threw hard grounders to him and taught him to run up on the ball, to scoop it into his glove,... yes we worked with him a lot. It was fun too :o) And so exciting when he would hit the ball and it would go places,....

Geoffery was enjoying himself, he loved being a part of a team. He had some good friends on the team,.... he had some friends on other teams,.... and even if he didn't know someone on the other team, he would make friends with them. Yes,... Geoffery is a very social creature. He makes friends every where he goes.

In all the games and practices I can count on one hand that he hit the ball I think,... we braved the cold, the crap weather and we watched and cheered hard for our "Bad News Bears" sort of team,.... they had some awesome games where they were really close, and we had some horrible games where we were totally pummeled. The boys all had a great time, and we owe that to the coach. They were out there to teach the kids to play, to have fun,.... can you ask for more???

Here are some pics, and even video of some of the game time..... Enjoy!!!!



Go Team Bandits!!




When asked what number Geoff would like, hubby picked #3, gotta tie some Nascar into baseball ya know! lol




Geoffery got to try bein on the pitchers mound some...




He looks so smart, so serious, so professional,....




Geoffery brings bat twirling to baseball....




Geoffery Hits the ball!!!




He Swings!!! He Hits!!! He Runs..... to 3rd?????

No comments: