Thursday, February 10, 2005

Did you feel that???

Afternoon all..... those of you that live anywhere near the Ohio Valley, surely felt the earthquake we had this morning. I was on the phone talking with the hubby. You know, that's something special too..... Probably end up making this longer than it needs but you know what?? Every day, I get home from taking the kids to school, I call him at work. We always have stuff to chat about, and if we don't really chat, we still have dead air between us, but we're "together".... I love that about us.

Anyhow,.... sitting there jabbering about nothing much, when "OH SHIT!!" I exclaim "What?? what is that?? is that an earthquake??" (he could hear the rattling noise) "Yeah!! oh SHIT!!" I said again. Wow!!!! This was too much. I grew up with these things,.... but this was the first I'd felt in this area since I've moved here nearly 8yrs ago. WOW!!!! That was too cool,.... I watched my cats wig out and run down the hall,... one didn't seem to know where to go and hide LOL That was rather amusing. We had an earthquake. Ended up registering at 4.1. Not huge, but it was a good strong one. House totally rattled. Hubby felt it at work, which is about ohhh 1/2hr from here, maybe 45mins.

What I thought was weird is that talking to that allergist doc, he wanted background info,... grew up in CA.... "ahhh earthquakes huh??" "oh yeah, love em... I'll take an earthquake over a tornado ANY day!!" "you know, they say we're due for one here, and if it happens,(if it were big enough of course) we'll be under water" (uh huh... they say that about CA too.... still waiting......) "yeah, well, I'll believe it when I see it"

I think I should call him, and curse him for cursing this earthquake upon us LOL Eh, it was a fun, short ride. I really do enjoy them. I was at home for the one during the World Series, that was incredible. Although, it did a lot of damage, and it was just eerie to look at the stores all toppled over with stuff, broken windows, power down for a good while...

The funniest part of the one back then was that my mom was on the phone, standing in the hallway talking to my brothers teacher. I heard the windows rattle first in the old house.... we lived on a busy street, so it could be a large truck,.... but when the rest of the house started rattling, we knew.... mom panicked... she dropped the phone on the floor, honestly not sure where she went LOL But I could hear "Mrs. Johnson???? Mrs. Johnson?????" coming from the phone LOL Still cracks me up to think about that. Goofy mom. She gave me the keys to her truck, and off I go to buy us a battery operated radio.... I don't think I ever got to buy one. No power, meant no registers were going to work, and a lot of shops were shut down due to damage. Really was wild.

After talking to the hubby this morning, my MIL called..... "did you feel that???" (She lives right down the street from us) I'm never quick enough usually, or I'd of said "uhh no, I didn't" LOL sheesh :o) We chat for a good while, she asked if I'd ever felt an earthquake before??? "umm.. I lived in CA" LOL I was quick enough that time huh?? But I was really thinking how could anyone live in CA and not feel one???? LOL Anyhow, I told her that I grew up with them, felt them often.

I guess that's one thing about tornados vs earthquakes. In the almost 8yrs I've lived here, I have seen 1 good tornado,... good as in it seemed fairly large, but didn't come close enough to doing any damage around our little town..... I saw like 3 more, but they never reached the ground... this was all this past year. Earthquakes on the other hand, in CA that is,.... happen quite regularly. I think the first one I remember as a kid, I was in 5th grade,.... I remember looking out the classroom window and saw the telephone poles and trees sway back and forth.... the earth seemed to move in a rolling way, almost like the ocean. That was the best earthquake I'd ever been in.

Yup, I'll still take an earthquake over a tornado any day!! I dont like waiting to see which way the tornado is going, or hiding in a cellar wondering if when you come out "will my house still be there??" No, I dont like that kind of anticipation. I learned fast that I don't do well with tornadoes either. I have a pic posted, of the tornado that was near here..... I really freaked. I was in and out of the house, I had dumped the kids in the aunts cellar, ran back home to grab a few things, (blankets/pillows to sit on etc) ran back to the cellar,... then back to the house, wanted to call my mom and say good bye.... just in case mind you!! Then back to the cellar.... then back to the house ( I was starting to relax and wanted pictures) grabbed the camera and got a couple of pics...... I didn't take the one that I posted, mine didn't turn out so great, by the time I had the camera, it was pretty much sucked back up into the sky LOL

Well, there is my adventure today..... the kids said they all freaked, my 10yr old, she said that the whole class screamed. She also said that after it was over, they were told to get under their desks LOL I guess they thought we'd have after shocks right away??? LOL I dont know.

Okie doke,.... I need to feed the little monsters, hubby is headed home after purchasing a new to him car.... I've also linked to his blog if you guys are interested :o) Psychotic Circus....

Enjoy the evening!!!!

2 comments:

Andrea Knapp said...

I was going to say that the earthquake may have been my "good morning surprise" from my husband but that would be crude - wouldn't it?

Frally said...

Wow, that souded exciting. Since moving to NZ I have felt 2 little piddly earthquakes (which happens all the time here), but it was exciting for me as in Australia we get zip.