Friday, February 18, 2005

I did it!

Well, after my failed attempt to do my own acrylic nails last night,.... I really only just tested one nail. It was going really well, it is something I think I can master, but not on just one try. So, I might have to mess with it some more today. I could REALLY see the lump on my nail from the tip,.... and that just won't do. Ah well,... I'll get it sorted out!

After getting most of the acrylic and nail tip off my thumb, I thought "eh, lets see if the new pieces I got for the kitchen drain will work" We have a double sink, and on one side, a piece of pipe cracked. So, as lazy as we are, and as busy as we've been, it hadn't been fixed and we were just using the side that didn't leak. Finally I bought some stuff that I thought would work from WalMart,.... see, standing around in the plumbing/fixture areas again DO pay off!! I brought it home, and it sat on the kitchen floor by the sink for a good while. The other day, I was ready to attempt this. Had to make sure that DH knew first :o) Nothing worse than coming home from a long days work and finding that you have plumbing to do huh?? And we all know plumbing is NOT my forte. He said if I felt I could do it, to have at it....... well, the parts I got weren't all right. We were missing a small piece it seemed. Sigh. Do I get an A for effort????

Yesterday, I went back to the plumbing/fixture isle in WalMart and found a few things.... I bought 2 pieces of pipe,.... just to be sure I had the right thing, a new strainer, and hey look at this new fangled bathtub plug! Oh, and every good plumber has teflon tape right???

Later in the evening while dinner was cooking (battered fish sticks,... they were really good too btw! Mrs. Pauls if you're really interested) I started fiddling with the pieces I had brought home. It was actually going to work, only 2 of the pipes were too long. Crap. Well, the only saw thing I had around the house that I knew of, was a crappy saw I bought to trim some tree branches awhile back. I dug it up and it did the trick. Thankfully I cut JUST the right amount (rather than too much like I was afraid of doing) and everything pieced together perfectly and got it all good and tight. I was now ready to test the water!!!

I turned it on,.... let it run for a good while,... and YAY!!!! No leaks!!! I DID IT!!!!! I couldn't get ahold of DH who was on his way to a meeting, so I called my mom. Now when I think about it, it is rather funny. What better person to call to get the "good girls" than your mom??? LOL Anyhow, she was pleased with me LOL and even said "Your dad would be proud" which was something I had thought too, and nearly made me cry. Dad's been gone for 4 years now and when stuff like this comes up, he's the first person I think of. He was an awesome handyman.... when he wasn't being lazy LOL

I cleaned out the sink, scrubbed it down really good with cleanser and stood back and looked at my "new" double sink LOL It wasn't some huge thing to fix really,.... but I'm always impressed with myself when I do fix something and it doesn't go to crap, and DH gets to clean up the mess. So, yes...... I did it!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi
Congratulations!

My dad was the most un-handy male on the planet--except for a few males I know.

My mom was much better at handyman stuff--but she didn't want to out-show my dad.

And thanks for commenting on my blog!

She died three years ago and I still run to call her.

So keep on calling your mom--the one person on the planet who will always think that everything you do is awesome.

Doc/Broken said...

Since I am the DH (that is Designated Hitter right?) that Sis speaks of in the post, I wanna share something with anyone that reads her site. You're all gonna think this is corny, or even BS, but this is the honest to Gods truth, I'm not even being partial here. Let me tell you about Sis..

We have 4 children which you already know. She gets up in the morning with me before I leave, makes sure I have what I need for the day, and gives me a kiss when I walk out the door. She then gets the kids up, fixes them breakfast, and takes them to school. She comes back home, and depending on what day it is, follows her schedule. She does laundry for 6 people, and that is a LOT of laundry. She vacumns and cleans our home (only to have our 4 year old come in later and destroy the place) she has that same laundry to fold and put away, manages to chat with me a bit on the net, eats her lunch, goes back to school to get the kids, comes in and fixes them a snack, helps them with their homework, and starts dinner. The I arrive, usually around 7:30pm from my day at work, and we have dinner, the kids have already eaten, and she gets them set for bed. Usually our oldest will help fill the dishwasher, and she gets it started. We watch tv a bit, and go to bed. That is her day, not including getting groceries and then yesterday fixes the piping on the sink. Yeah, I usually do 60hrs a week at my job. 12 hrs a day and an hour's drive, but like I said on a site I visit often, I get paid. She doesn't get something tangible, like a paycheck. The most she gets is thankyous from me, and the occasional night kid free. She, by far, has the tougher job. I could not be more proud to have her as my wife, that is the absolute truth.

Anonymous said...

Getting the acrylic to the right consistency and sanding are critical to making great nails, (and lots of practice)! ;^)

http://pimme.blog-city.com

Shannah said...

Aww thank you honey, that brought tears to my eyes. I might not get a paycheck, but I do get a whole lot more. I wouldn't trade my "job" for anything. Thank you though, for all the sweet words. Once this cold clears up ..... ;o)
Love you baby!!!!