Monday, February 07, 2005

Out of the mouthes of babes....

Our house is small, our family is large,... it's comfy and cozy in a cluttered sort of way. It's home ya know??? We have 4 cats. I think I reason this in that there is a cat per kid,.... you know, one kid wants a kitty.... but you can't do for one w/o doing for all 4??? But of course, I'd be lying. My wonderful husband, after Merlin my sweet short haired persian of gosh,.... many years, turned up missing. You see, Merlin was a VERY skittish kitty, and was much more at home being outdoors. He was old, so I'm sure that he went somewhere to be alone when it was his time. He had never strayed off before, so that's the only thing I can figure.

I can't be sure of how long it was after that, a year maybe?? Hubby was online looking for kitties for me,... he sent me the link for the breeder w/ the picture of the kitty he thought I would love to have.... he was a long haired black persian, so sweet looking, and she was going to sell him cheap as he wasn't show quality. After a couple weekends of bad weather we were finally able to hook up with her to get our new baby. We were naming him Raven.

We didn't have Raven for even a month I dont think, before I realized something was very wrong with him. He was the loviest kitty.... but he became listless.... not eating much... I took him to the vet, and it was too late,... he tried to keep him alive with IV's and all, but he was just too weak. I was so crushed. I just couldn't believe it. Whatever he was sick with, it was hereditary the Vet felt. That made it much worse.

I guess it was later that year, when hubby found another breeder, her website was wonderful, and so were the cats. I talked with her, and we arranged to meet, and that's when we got Strider, he was just a little fluff of fur too :o) I need to add in a baby picture of him... just adoreable. She had plenty of other cats as well, all beautiful. She had a couple that were being retired or whatever..... we already had Strider picked out,.... in the past I had had a couple shaded silver persians and asked after her "young retiree" Surprise.... she had gotten pregnant too early and had complications and they had to take the babies early and Surprise had to be fixed, so she was no longer going to be shown or bred.... she needed to find her a good home,.... this breeder GAVE her to us. I've got a nice show picture of her as well I should post.... anyhow, that's the start of our cat family.

Now, something I must add is that before my husband met Merlin, he really REALLY didn't like cats. They were something you shot at with a pellet gun when they got on your vehicles and left the paw prints all over.... or something you taught your dog to chase when they came into your yard to kill birds..... but he grew fond of Merlin.

This past summer, for like 3 days this wee kitten was on our front step.... we all tried to ignore it,... you know, pretend it isn't there, and it will go away sort of thing??? Well, the kids would sit at the window noses pressed to the glass... "awww isn't it so cute????" "ohhh it wants to come inside" "ohhh it thinks I'm it's mommy".... sigh..... it broke my heart.... I would have drug it in faster than you can type blogger.com,.... however, I knew how my husband felt,... he wanted the thing to go away.

It was Saturday morning, the kids had been oooo'ing and awww'ing the kitten earlier, till hubby chased them off. We were puttering with watching tv, surfing the web and what not. When you hear this loud yeowling sound,... husband turns to me "is that that kitten?????" "dunno, maybe... probably a dog or something in the yard..." He went and opened the door, and it was a big orange tom tryin to pick on this lil baby kitty. Well, I must say I was very surprised when this little kitten tried to run inside the house, but even more surprised when he picked up the scrawny thing and took it to the food dishes in the kitchen. Like a little kid, I was giddy with excitement. Nothing is cuter next to your own newborn babies, than a new kitten or puppy I think :o) I'm a glutton. I love animals,... I'd have a zoo if we could afford it. Anyhow, later he asked me "what do you think?? should we keep it??" I answered him honestly "I'm the wrong person to ask" LOL "what?? you can't be honest with me???" (hmm... I thought I was??) Hey, to me,... one more cat is like one more kid, after you've had like 3 of em, what's the big deal anymore????? Cats are much easier than kids anyhow LOL I told him in all seriousness that one more cat to me, REALLY woudn't be a big deal. So, that is how our little black and white stray Skipper came to be with us. But no, we couldn't stop there right??????

Just before Christmas, I was headed out to pick the kids up from school and this cat was on the hood of the truck. Hmm... she's pretty..... but took off before I could get close to her. Eh, she'll go away. Well, she didn't. Hubby got home and I wondered what was taking him so long to come inside,.... went out and HE was loving all over her!!! HEY!!!! lol I wanted in on this action too. I teased and baby talked to this soft and purring kitty "would you like to come in kitty kitty???" I knew that hubby would love that LOL He bonked me for it :o) Well, later it was quite cold, it was pouring rain, I had to take a kid to scouts or something like that,.... and she was on the roof of the truck, huddled tight into herself. Sigh. I took her down, and put her on a chair under the carport,.... got back home and she was gone. When I went back to get kid,.... got home I saw her hiding under some boards that were against the carport,.... poor thing :o( I felt terrible for her. Told hubby and he said "well, if you feel that bad, bring it inside" Ha!! dont have to tell me twice!!! I dug her out of the boards and when she was inside, she acted like she owned the house :o) Now we think Skipper got her pregnant. I knew I needed to get him fixed, but it was one of those things you put off. You hear how their attitude changes and such... so I wasn't ready to kill off Skippers great personality, this is a cat that would talk to you, chase you around the house and all. Sheeba as we named the new stray, came into heat,... ack!! So, we did the separate the cat dance till I could get him into the vet. I wonder if we did a good job or not??? I guess we'll see by next month or so??? Anyhow.... my story has gotten way out of control here..... we've had yet ANOTHER stray (I think word has gotten out among the cat community) hanging around the house, crying and crying and crying..... and my daughter reminded me of something I had said months ago "You said if you could have a dozen cats, you would....." No, we haven't brought that cat in, and nor will we, I do have my limits honestly :o)

2 comments:

Frally said...

Wow, these cats must be able to sense you're a cat person. I'm personally not really into cats but my husband LOVES them. We currently have one, which is enough for me. She is Daddy's Girl for sure.

Hey, thanks for the link too. I will give you one as well.

Shannah said...

Sad thing is, I want a lap cat and not a one of them will cuddle with me LOL Darned beasts!! Do love all our kitties and kiddies LOL