Friday, March 25, 2005

Good Friday


Good Morning! I don't know what is up with Blogger, but my option to change the font color has poofed, and I can't get it back. Hmm.... so boring black for now.

Had a fairly busy day yesterday, running around getting groceries and Easter goodies for the kiddos. I always think back to Easter as a kid. My Mom was an awesome Easter Basket builder. She would find the neatest candies, or small toy type things to put in our baskets. It was always exciting to search for the basket Easter morning.

One morning, I was around 13. My brother is 7 yrs younger. He and I were searching through the house for our baskets. He found his, and I finally "gave up". My mind was turning,.... "Maybe Mom thinks I'm too old now???" I felt hurt, sad, and frustrated. I knew better than that! I knew Mom wouldn't do that to me. I would half look while I was busy getting ready for church. Mom and Dad finally got up, and Mom ooo'd and awww'd at my brothers basket of goodies (the Easter Bunny brought it of course!) and she turned to me and said "Where is yours at???" I don't know if it showed on my face or not, but I could feel my insides just LIGHT UP!! Full of excitement. Easter Bunny DID bring me one!!!!! Eventually I found it, I believe it was in the clothes hamper or in the shower, I don't recall which. But that is one of my most memorable Easters :o)

My Mother In Law kept the kids for me yesterday so I could not only get the groceries we needed, but the Easter stuff as well. I got home, unloaded the groceries and started putting baskets together. Something a lot of candy companies are doing now is putting a bag together with odds n ends in toys, with a few bags of candy. You just dump it into the basket of your choice. I really like that, it enables you to add more without tearing through the pre done basket.

I always try to recreate the Easters like I had with my kids. Do the Easter Basket hiding thing, later the Egg Hunt,.... as a kid we didn't go to church all the time, but when we did, it was the Finnish/Lutheran church in Berkeley. Half the sermon would be in Finnish, the other in English. My Grandma went to this church, so my Dad did as well.... all of us kids were baptized there. It was a small quaint church, no fuss no frills. My cousins and I would tease each other, giggle non stop to the point that Aunts and Uncles would glare (even during the Finnish part, which seemed only the old people understood anyhow) or they would put themselves between us. Once the sermons were done, we would all eat a big lunch. I remember most the women would be in the kitchen cooking up a storm. By the time the sermon was over, the back table would be covered in food. Those were some wonderful Easters.

The kids will attend church with my inlaws, they attend most every Sunday. It's not Finnish/Lutheran, so thankfully they can understand the whole sermon! They'll probably have a big lunch with their Grams and Pa, and come home for an Egg Hunt if the weather permits. It will be a very nice relaxing weekend!! I hope yours is the same!!! Happy Easter!!!

No comments: