Sunday, March 20, 2005

Why Day @ the Beach??

What is the one favorite place you like to go to relax, to get away from it all?? Whether it's a real getaway, or one you create in your mind. For me, it's always been the beach. I grew up going to the beach living in California. I have heard several stories about beach outings I went on with Mom and Dad, but have no real memories of them as I was so small.

One early memory I do recall, I was maybe 4yrs old. My Uncle lived within walking distance of a beach. I'm not really sure where at, other than Northern CA. We had left his apt, and we were all walking around. I had to go to the bathroom really bad, so Dad led me to this HUGE rock to go behind. Before I could swat down, I saw a crab. It was a big one. I let out a scream!! Dad came to my rescue, and reassured me, as the huge crab was quite dead. He held the old dead crab up for me to see. I think I brought that thing home with me.

The beach has always been a place of adventure. A place of solitude. A place to just be, and forget anything that was going wrong that day. With the gulls over head begging for food, the sounds of the water lapping against the shore, or crashing on the rocks. The sun beating down making the sand warm enough that you dig your toes deeper to find the cool wet sand.

I could sit for hours just listening and watching. I could walk for as many hours, investigating tide pools or looking for neat shells. All the while, reflecting on life. Remembering times as a kid, and thinking on the future.

I hope that one day, I can take my family to a nice beach, throw a frisbee around, dig for shells, poke through tide pools, and just sit and relax and watch nature at her best.


No comments: