Thursday, March 10, 2005

Last night....

As I was preparing dinner, (my mom's recipe for meatloaf) I always think back to when I was growing up. Mom was one to always make the holidays and other occassions special. For our Birthdays, she would plan nice parties and if our day fell in the middle of the week, she would do what we wanted for dinner. I always loved this!! My brother, who is 7yrs younger than I am would always want McDonalds. I think mom liked this as well, since it meant she wouldn't have to cook. When she would ask what I wanted, it was always MEATLOAF!! She makes the best meatloaf ever. I've gotten pretty good at it myself. Last nights turned out really well too. I even have some for a sandwich today!

I was really "with it" last night as far as getting dinner going. Everything was timed beautifully. That has always been the hardest part of cooking for me. My first marriage,... being young and stupid.... and I do mean both of us,... he gave me his list of things,... in the order in which he felt they fell for him in life,.... 1. Gaming 2. You 3. dont remember...... it was really silly, but I at the time didn't really care that his games took priority over me,.... what did it matter??? My list for him,... 1. I do NOT cook LOL Point blank. I hated it, I wasn't good at it,.. and I've never done it really. I wasn't about to start now!!!

Over the years we were married, and having had 2 kids, I found I could cook sorta. I could whip up a mean spaghetti!! Never could get the garlic bread right, (like moms!) but the spaghetti was always good and everything timed right LOL How could you not??? I learned to do other things, things that I was used to eating as a kid,... fried burgers, chops.... things I could easily throw into the oven..... but for the most part, I would rather mow the yard than be in the kitchen cooking. That's the God's honest truth too.

Now, my poor husband is stuck with a woman originally from California, that can't cook southern food. I really suck at it. I LOVE fried chicken,... omg I could eat it daily!! But I can't cook it for crap. Well, I can cook it crappily though!! I've attempted time and time again..... and think I've gotten it decent 2xs. Sad huh?? Ahh..... if you've read ms. mac's post today titled "I Just Can't Do That" I've got a one,.... I can't fix country gravy. Again, it's another that I've tried and tried to do, and think I got it right once..... I finally gave up..... so we have country gravy from a pkg now, thankfully my husband tolerates it, even though he does tease about it.

I will admit, over the 8 years we've been living together, I have gotten better. My timing is better,... and food is well,.... so far cooked through. That was a hard time I had with the fried chicken(and other meals as well),... looked great on the outside, but nice and pink on the inside. *sigh*

Anyhow, I had dinner all set,.... it looked great and smelled great too!! I was pulling the meatloaf out of the oven and throwing the desert cake in!! Damn I'm good!!

I think we're going to have salads for dinner tonight though :o) I can't cook TOO many full meals like that in a week, I wouldn't want anyone getting used to it right???

1 comment:

Fizzy said...

I agree, totally. I can not cook. I try but it just don't happen. I am looking for inspiration as my hubby has just re built the kitchen. It looks lovely but I need to cook more in it.... think.